Image source: Free-Photos on Pixabay
Hello and welcome to the The Ink Well weekly fiction prompt. The Ink Well is a Hive blockchain-based social media community of creative writers. If you love to write short stories, we invite you to join us. Or peruse the work of our community members.
Important Community Notes
Before you post in our community, please be sure to read the community rules (right side of the page) where we outline the "do's and don'ts" for posting in The Ink Well. If you only use a mobile phone and can't see them, you can read them here.
Our community rules are designed to make our community a safe, welcoming, plagiarism-free space for self-publishing original short stories.
Please Read Stories by Your Fellow Writers!
Authors, please read and comment on other writers' stories. We request that you read at least two stories weekly, or two stories for each one you publish in The Ink Well. It only takes a little time, and this ensures that we have a thriving and supportive community.
Also note that we only select stories for the weekly highlights magazine by authors who are engaging with other members' posts. Thank you to all of the community members who have taken the time to read other authors' work and provide comments.
Okay! Let's review fiction entries from last week and start a new prompt.
Stories From the Previous Week
Thank you to everyone who posted a story for last week's prompt, “Summer Camp," which invited The Ink Well authors to write about summer camp experiences. It was great fun to see those stories rolling in!
Thank you to everyone you wrote pieces for this writing prompt!
Here are the week's stories. Be sure to read and support these authors for their work! We've noted the prompt stories that were showcased in The Ink Well Highlights Magazine from June 20.
- Enemies of the Road, by @dwixer SHOWCASE STORY
- There Was an Old Woman, by @bruno-kema SHOWCASE STORY
- And Yes He Still Felt Nothing, by @wrestlingdesires
- The camp that made me wealthy, by @iyimoga
- Summer Camp for Grandparents, by @katleya
- Love over coffee, by @danladi
- Choose your battle, by @mcluz
- Hidden Talents, by @ricardo993
- Summer Camp, by @cryptofi
- All the World's a Summer Camp, by @deeanndmathews
- It could happen, by @young-boss-karin
- Summer Encounter, by @mrnightmare.net
- The Earth's Five, by @gracielaacevedo
This Week’s Prompt
The prompt for this week is Main Street.
Most small towns have a street where "normal" people live in "normal" homes. Let's call it "Main Street." When you think of such a street, what comes to mind? Children drawing with chalk in the road? Dogs chasing kids on bicycles? An ice cream truck on a summer afternoon?
Tell us a story about something that happens on Main Street that is not at all normal. For instance, what happens when Mr. Perky's maple tree gets hit by lightning and inside the tree are some ancient bones? Or when an alien ship lands right by the stop sign? Or when a couple from the neighborhood joins a multi-level marketing business and annoys all of the neighbors by trying to recruit them?
All kinds of things might happen on Main Street, from a sudden crime wave to hauntings.
Where will your imagination take you? We hope you have some fun with this prompt!
Note: As always, please avoid gory, bloody, brutal, sexist or racist themes and language, as well as stories featuring abuse of women, children or animals.
If you don't feel inspired by this prompt or the featured image, feel free to peruse any of our past prompts or our collection of idea-generators:
Weekly Prompt Rules:
- Deadline: You have a week to write for the prompt, until the next one is posted. (Note: You can write for any of the prompts anytime. This is just a guideline to be included in the weekly round-up of highlights.)
- Hashtags: Please use these hashtags: #fiction #writing #inkwellprompt #theinkwell.
- Story link: Post a link to your story in a comment on this post.
- COMMUNITY SUPPORT: Visit the work of at least two other community members and comment on their work.
- Title: The title is up to you. You can come up with any title you wish. You do not need to name it after the prompt or include the prompt word.
- Images: Please only use images from license free and creative commons sites, like Pixabay, Unsplash and Pexels. Images you find on the Internet are copyright protected and cannot be used. Be sure to provide the source link.
Reminder: Be sure to also read our community rules. The reason for the repeat reminder is that we see many stories describing brutality of women or that have excessive gore, and we must mute them. Please do not post these stories in The Ink Well. We want our community to be a safe and comfortable place for all readers.
Here are the past prompts if you would like to use them or refer back to them:
- #1: Heart and Soul
- #2: The moment when...
- #3: Beauty with a twist
- #4: The Way Home
- #5: A Matter of Time
- #6 50 Story Ideas
- #7 The Library
- #8 All the way to tomorrow
- #9 Legend
- #10 Three Words
- #11 World Building
- #12 Childhood Summers
- #13 50 Imagination Ticklers
- #14 Railroad
- #15 Cats - 750 words
- #16 Your Birthday
- #17 Action, Dialog and Narrative
- #18 Change
- #19 Tea Time or Tee Time?
- #20 Summer Camp
We look forward to reading your stories!
We also invite you to follow The Ink Well curation trail on the Hive blockchain, at https://hive.vote/. Simply navigate to the curation trail section and search for theinkwell (all one word with no @ symbol) and our trail will pop up as an option.
Similarly delegations are possible on Hive using the fantastic https://peakd.com/ Hive Blockchain front end. If you wish to delegate to @theinkwell, you can do this from the wallet section of https://peakd.com/
@jayna, @agmoore, @gracielaacevedo, @iamraincrystal, @generikat, @marlyncabrera, @owasco, @preparedwombat, @marcybetancourt, @zeurich, @barge, @lacrucita, @stormcharmer, @adncabrera, @vision-of-esca, @josemalavem, @morey-lezama, @sayury, @rypo01, @evagavilan2 and @bertrayo.