Image source: frantafalta
Hello and welcome to the The Ink Well weekly fiction prompt. The Ink Well is a Hive blockchain-based social media community of creative writers. If you love to write short stories, we invite you to join us. Or peruse the work of our community members.
Before you post in our community, please be sure to read the community rules (right side of the page) where we outline the "do's and don'ts" for posting in The Ink Well. If you only use a mobile phone and can't see them, you can read them here.
Our community rules are designed to make our community a safe, welcoming, plagiarism-free space for self-publishing original short stories.
Community engagement: Authors, please read and comment on other writers' stories. (We request that you read at least two stories weekly, or two stories for each one you publish in The Ink Well.) It only takes a little time, and this ensures that we have a thriving and supportive community.
Also note that we only select stories for the weekly highlights magazine by authors who are engaging with other members' posts. Thank you to all of the community members who have taken the time to read other authors' work and provide comments.
Okay! Let's review fiction entries from last week and start a new prompt.
Stories From the Previous Week
Thank you to everyone who posted a story for last week's prompt, “Tea Time or Tee Time?," which offered The Ink Well authors to choose a tea time or tee time (golf-theme) story, or combine the two.
Thank you to those of you wrote pieces for this writing prompt. It is always a joy to see the stories that emerge from our prompts!
Here are the week's stories. Be sure to read and support these authors for their work! We've noted the prompt stories that were showcased in The Ink Well Highlights Magazine from June 13.
- The Company We Steep SHOWCASE STORY
- Tea-Timey Recipe, by @esther-emmanuel SHOWCASE STORY
- Mystery of the Creak, by @kemmyb SHOWCASE STORY
- Poor Retirement, by @ricardo993 SHOWCASE STORY
- Auny T, by @iyimoga
- Tea or Tee, by @wrestlingdesires
- Secrets Revealed at Tea Time, by @kayleya
- Would You Like Some?, by @gracielaacevedo
- Charles and Elanor, by @riottales
- Tea Time with a Bang, by @agmoore
- Known for Tea, by @cryptofi
- Tea Time, by @dwixer
- Explaining Bridget, by @young-boss-karin
- T for Tea, Not for Me, by @bruno-kema
- The Underdog, by @seesladen
- Tea Time in British Occupied Chelm, by @saronaspecial
- Tea Time and Happiness with Vertran and Louisa, by @deeanndmathews
- Tea Treehouse, by @mrnightmare.net
This Week’s Prompt
The prompt for this week is Summer Camp.
Summer camp is a rite of passage for many kids. But whether or not you experienced it, there is plenty of lore, movies and more to fuel your imagination. From toads in sleeping bags to ghost stories and things whispered by fire light, summer camp has great potential.
Some kids can't wait to go to camp. For others it's torture to be away from home. They are homesick, they're afraid of the dark or they don't know anyone at camp. Maybe your main character has had a bad experience in the past with a gruff camp counselor, or once got burned by a marshmallow.
And what about the perspective of the parents? Some sigh with relief when their kids are signed over to the counselors for a week, while others fret endlessly that little Johnny isn't getting enough to eat, will be bullied by other campers, or will have a terrible experience and tattle to their therapist a few years down the road that their mom made them go.
Where will your imagination take you? We hope you have some fun with this prompt!
Note: As always, please avoid gory, bloody, brutal, sexist or racist themes and language, as well as stories featuring abuse of women, children or animals.
If you don't feel inspired by this prompt or the featured image, feel free to peruse any of our past prompts or our collection of idea-generators:
Weekly Prompt Rules:
- Deadline: You have a week to write for the prompt, until the next one is posted. (Note: You can write for any of the prompts anytime. This is just a guideline to be included in the weekly round-up of highlights.)
- Hashtags: Please use these hashtags: #fiction #writing #inkwellprompt #theinkwell.
- Story link: Post a link to your story in a comment on this post.
- COMMUNITY SUPPORT: Visit the work of at least two other community members and comment on their work.
- Title: The title is up to you. You can come up with any title you wish. You do not need to name it after the prompt or include the prompt word.
- Images: Please only use images from license free and creative commons sites, like Pixabay, Unsplash and Pexels. Images you find on the Internet are copyright protected and cannot be used. Be sure to provide the source link.
Reminder: Be sure to also read our community rules. The reason for the repeat reminder is that we see many stories describing brutality of women or that have excessive gore, and we must mute them. Please do not post these stories in The Ink Well. We want our community to be a safe and comfortable place for all readers.
Here are the past prompts if you would like to use them or refer back to them:
- #1: Heart and Soul
- #2: The moment when...
- #3: Beauty with a twist
- #4: The Way Home
- #5: A Matter of Time
- #6 50 Story Ideas
- #7 The Library
- #8 All the way to tomorrow
- #9 Legend
- #10 Three Words
- #11 World Building
- #12 Childhood Summers
- #13 50 Imagination Ticklers
- #14 Railroad
- #15 Cats - 750 words
- #16 Your Birthday
- #17 Action, Dialog and Narrative
- #18 Change
- #19 Tea Time or Tee Time?
We look forward to reading your stories!
We also invite you to follow The Ink Well curation trail on the Hive blockchain, at https://hive.vote/. Simply navigate to the curation trail section and search for theinkwell (all one word with no @ symbol) and our trail will pop up as an option.
Similarly delegations are possible on Hive using the fantastic https://peakd.com/ Hive Blockchain front end. If you wish to delegate to @theinkwell, you can do this from the wallet section of https://peakd.com/
@jayna, @agmoore, @gracielaacevedo, @iamraincrystal, @generikat, @marlyncabrera, @owasco, @preparedwombat, @marcybetancourt, @zeurich, @barge, @lacrucita, @stormcharmer, @adncabrera, @vision-of-esca, @josemalavem, @morey-lezama, @sayury, @rypo01, @evagavilan2 and @bertrayo.