Image source: candice_rose on Pixabay
Hello and welcome to the The Ink Well weekly fiction prompt. The Ink Well is a Hive blockchain-based social media community of creative writers. If you love to write short stories, we invite you to join us. Or peruse the work of our community members.
Before you post in our community, please be sure to read the community rules (right side of the page) where we outline the "do's and don'ts" for posting in The Ink Well.
Our community rules are designed to make our community a safe, welcoming, plagiarism-free space for self-publishing original short stories.
Also, a word on community engagement. We want to thank all of the community members who have taken the time to read other members' work and provide comments. Authors, please remember that reading and commenting on at least two other writers' stories is one of the weekly prompt rules. This ensures that we have a thriving community. Note that we will only be selecting stories for the weekly magazine by authors who are engaging with other members' posts.
Okay! Let's review fiction highlights from last week and start a new prompt.
Highlights of the Week
Thank you to everyone who posted a story for last week's prompt, “Cats - 750 words," which challenged writers to not only write a cat-themed story but also to do so in exactly 750 words. Well done, those of you who tackled this one!
Here are the week's prompt stories. Be sure to read and support these authors for their work!
- Cat, by @evegrace
- A Wild Tale of a Cat Lord, by @defolumal
- A New Home, by @kemmyb
- Mated Souls, by @stormcharmer
- The Old Tale, by @iyimoga
- Stella, by @almightymelon
- An Unexpected Friend, by @riottales
- A Fated Encounter, by @zedcell
- Secret Society of Protector Cats, by @bruno-kema
- Porcelain Cats Giving Advice?, by @katleya
- I'm Chanel, by @gracielaacevedo
- A Full Blown Summer, by @seesladen
- What If Cats Rules the World?, by @ricardo993
- The Killer Cat, by @joseph1956
- Hansel, by @young-boss-karin
- An Exposition On the Errant but Understandable Worship of Cats and Men, by @deeanndmathews
- Whinny, by @dwixer
- Julia and Eliot, by @marlyncabrera
- Nine Lives, by @jayna
- Bridge, by @mrnightmare.net
This Week’s Prompt
The prompt for this week is Your Birthday.
For this prompt, we challenge you to search the Internet for something interesting that happened on your birthday — anytime in history — and then write a short story inspired by that event.
All you have to do is start typing "what happened in history on [Month, Day]" and various events will pop up in the results.
Another thing you can try, which is all the rage right now, is to type "Florida Man [Month, Day] and see what comes up. In some cases it's really funny.
Note: As always, please avoid gory, bloody, sexist or racist themes and language.
Good luck! And be sure to remember the important elements of good fiction:
- A good setting
- Character development
- A story arc and resolution
If you don't feel inspired by this prompt or the featured image, feel free to peruse any of our past prompts or our collection of idea-generators:
Weekly Prompt Rules:
- Deadline: You have a week to write for the prompt, until the next one is posted. (Note: You can write for any of the prompts anytime. This is just a guideline to be included in the weekly round-up of highlights.)
- Hashtags: Please use these hashtags: #fiction #writing #inkwellprompt #theinkwell.
- Story link: Post a link to your story in a comment on this post.
- Community support: Visit the work of at least two other community members and comment on their work.
- Title: The title is up to you. You can come up with any title you wish. You do not need to name it after the prompt or include the prompt word.
- Images: Please only use images from license free and creative commons sites, like Pixabay, Unsplash and Pexels. Images you find on the Internet are copyright protected and cannot be used. Be sure to provide the source link.
Reminder: Be sure to also read our community rules. The reason for the repeat reminder is that we see many stories describing brutality of women or that have excessive gore, and we must mute them. Please do not post these stories in The Ink Well. We want our community to be a safe and comfortable place for all readers.
Here are the past prompts if you would like to use them or refer back to them:
- #1: Heart and Soul
- #2: The moment when...
- #3: Beauty with a twist
- #4: The Way Home
- #5: A Matter of Time
- #6 50 Story Ideas
- #7 The Library
- #8 All the way to tomorrow
- #9 Legend
- #10 Three Words
- #11 World Building
- #12 Childhood Summers
- #13 50 Imagination Ticklers
- #14 Railroad
- #15 Cats - 750 words
We look forward to reading your stories!
We also invite you to follow The Ink Well curation trail on the Hive blockchain, at https://hive.vote/. Simply navigate to the curation trail section and search for theinkwell (all one word with no @ symbol) and our trail will pop up as an option.
Similarly delegations are possible on Hive using the fantastic https://peakd.com/ Hive Blockchain front end. If you wish to delegate to @theinkwell, you can do this from the wallet section of https://peakd.com/
And finally, a big thank you to all our delegations from:
@jayna, @agmoore, @gracielaacevedo, @iamraincrystal, @generikat, @shanibeer, @marlyncabrera, @owasco, @preparedwombat, @marcybetancourt, @zeurich, @barge, @lacrucita, @adncabrera, @vision-of-esca, @josemalavem, @morey-lezama, @sayury, @rypo01, @evagavilan2 and @bertrayo.