Image source: GeorgeB2 on Pixabay
Hello and welcome to the The Ink Well weekly fiction prompt. The Ink Well is a Hive blockchain-based social media community of creative writers. If you love to write short stories, we invite you to join us. Or peruse the work of our community members.
Before you post in our community, please be sure to read the community rules (right side of the page) where we outline the "do's and don'ts" for posting in The Ink Well.
Our community rules are designed to make our community a safe, welcoming, plagiarism-free space for self-publishing original short stories.
Okay! Let's review fiction highlights from last week and start a new prompt.
Highlights of the Week
Thank you to everyone who posted a story for last week's prompt, “Three Words".
First, a word on community engagement. We want to thank all of the community members who have taken the time to read other members' work and provide comments. Authors, please remember that this is one of the prompt rules! This ensures that we have a thriving community. Note that we will only be selecting stories for the weekly magazine by authors who are engaging with other members' posts.
Here are the week's prompt stories. Be sure to read and support these authors for their work!
- 240 km, by @iyimoga
- Memories and Moments, by @bruno-kema
- Drunk in Love, by @dwixer
- The Patient Dog, by @seesladen
- It Will Fatten You Up, by @kemmyb
- A Living Hell, by @young-boss-karin
- Tres Palabras, by @katleya
- Goodbye, by @zellypearl
- Dissociation from a Surplus Artist, by @amirtheawesome1
- Landing, by @gracielaacevedo
- Ready, Set, Sus, by @generiket
- A Runner's Diary, by @ricardo993
- Three Words, by @deeanndmathews
- Rainbow,by @mrnightmare.net
- Lonely diner by @jadams2k18
This Week’s Prompt
The prompt for this week is World Building.
The goal is develop a setting for your story that is rich with details, even if the setting could only exist in one's imagination.
This is called "world building."
What are the sights and sounds of this place? Is it populated with human beings? Aliens? Animals? Zombies? What do they look like? Are there stone statues that walk the street after dark? Creatures with just one eye that never blinks? Are there rivers the color of jade? It can be a perfectly normal setting, too - a grandma's kitchen, or a child's tree house - but help us see this place with your descriptions.
For inspiration, read our Writing Tip #27, Let's Explore World Building.
If you don't feel inspired by this prompt or the featured image, feel free to peruse Prompt #6: 50 Story Ideas.
Where will you take your story?
Good luck! And be sure to remember the important elements of good fiction:
- A good setting
- Character development
- A story arc and resolution
Weekly Prompt Rules:
- Deadline: You have a week to write for the prompt, until the next one is posted. (Note: You can write for any of the prompts anytime. This is just a guideline to be included in the weekly round-up of highlights.)
- Hashtags: Please use these hashtags: #fiction #writing #inkwellprompt #theinkwell.
- Story link: Post a link to your story in a comment on this post.
- Community support: Visit the work of at least two other community members and comment on their work.
- Title: The title is up to you. You can come up with any title you wish. You do not need to name it after the prompt or include the prompt word.
- Images: Please only use images from license free and creative commons sites, like Pixabay, Unsplash and Pexels. Images you find on the Internet are copyright protected and cannot be used. Be sure to provide the source link.
Reminder: Be sure to also read our community rules. (The reason for the reminder is every single week we see stories about brutality of women, and we must mute them. Please do not post these stories in The Ink Well.)
Here are the past prompts if you would like to use them or refer back to them:
- #1: Heart and Soul
- #2: The moment when...
- #3: Beauty with a twist
- #4: The Way Home
- #5: A Matter of Time
- #6 50 Story Ideas
- #7 The Library
- #8 All the way to tomorrow
- #9 Legend
- #10 Three Words
We look forward to reading your stories!
We also invite you to follow The Ink Well curation trail on the Hive blockchain, at https://hive.vote/. Simply navigate to the curation trail section and search for theinkwell (all one word with no @ symbol) and our trail will pop up as an option.
Similarly delegations are possible on Hive using the fantastic https://peakd.com/ Hive Blockchain front end. If you wish to delegate to @theinkwell, you can do this from the wallet section of https://peakd.com/
And finally, a big thank you to all our delegations from:
@jayna, @agmoore, @gracielaacevedo, @iamraincrystal, @generikat, @shanibeer, @marlyncabrera, @owasco, @preparedwombat, @marcybetancourt, @zeurich, @barge, @lacrucita, @adncabrera, @vision-of-esca, @josemalavem, @morey-lezama, @sayury, @rypo01, @evagavilan2 and @bertrayo.