Today I'm making a fall favorite, with a ton of apples, ample amounts of spices, browned buttercream that is sooo good, and topped with homemade caramel made of dreams!
How to make an Apple Spiced Cake
For the Buttercream:
Melt 3/4 cup of room temperature butter over a medium fire.
Allow it to boil until it becomes brown. Set it aside in the refrigerator to chill.
For the Caramel:
You will need
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup cream or half and half, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, a pinch of salt.
Combine all the ingredients except the vanilla in a small pot and stir together just so that the ingredients are mostly moistened. Place over medium to low heat until it bubbles and thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Transfer into a bowl to cool completely.
Prepare the cake pans.
Butter and flour three 6 inches round pans. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
We are ready to make the cake!
1. Peel, slice and dice the apples, about 3 cups. I am using Honey Crisp Apples.
2. Sift and whisk all the dry ingredients: 3 cups all-purpose flour, 1-1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1 tsp salt, and the spices- 2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, and a pinch of cloves.
3. Mix all the wet ingredients in a bowl until well combined: 1/4 cup plain yogurt, 3 large eggs, 3/4 cup vegetable oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry... mix until combine. It will be dry... like a crust. Fold in the apples. Don't worry, the apples will provide a lot of moisture!
5. Equally divide the batter in prepared thee 6-inch pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes or until the centers are done.
6. When cake is done, remove from oven and cool for ten minutes. Then turn them over on to cake rack to cool completely.
7. Prepare the Browned Buttercream.
Mix the browned butter very well... mix all the browned goodness! Transfer the browned butter onto a mixing bowl. Cream the browned butter with 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, 1/3 cup cream or half and half, and a pinch of salt. Beat it together until desired consistency is reached.
Let us assemble the Apple Spiced Cake!
Put the first layer of the cake in the center of the cake stand. Pipe Browned Butter Cream then spread it evenly on the cake. Put Caramel on top of that!
Do the same thing for the second and top layer of the cake.
Cover the sides with frosting. It does not have to be perfect! It looks more artisan when not done so perfectly, hehe 😉😊.
With a spoon, drizzle with yummy Caramel. Go around the edge of the cake and then cover the top.
There, it is done!
Shall we cut a slice?
I think I will put some Caramel on the side, just in case.
Let's take a slice of this cake!
YUM!!! The Apple Spiced Cake is so delicious! It is moist and full of spice flavors. The apples were still crisp! The Browned Buttercream... what can I say.. it is so good! Next time, I will use loads of it!
Thank you for stopping by to view this article.
I post an article daily, and I hope to see you again soon!
Join the Ladies of Hive Community and the Ladies of Hive in discord.
Would you like to support The Ladies of Hive Community?
Consider giving a delegation!